Carpet Tunnel Syndrome

I don't know how many of you are fans of old school SNL skits with David Spade, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider, but some of those oldies are pure gold- anything from Matt Foley (motivational speaker) to Chris Farley as a TV commentator. However, the "Gap Girls" sketch is one of my favorites.

David Spade says, "I can't fold another sweater- my wrists are killing me. I think I'm getting that carpet tunnel syndrome."
To which Adam Sandler replies "You don't have it, you can only catch it from a computer".

Well, Adam Sandler, as we know you are WRONG! Preggo women can get it pretty hard core.

The last 5 or 6 nights I have woken up multiple times with shooting, stabbing pain in my wrists and arms all the way to the elbow. I started to get really worried, wondering what the heck was happening to me and why the pain and tingling wouldnt subside with rubbing and shaking. I already have a pretty crappy case of tendonitis in my right arm that hasnt improved for years so the thought of having a another arm out of commission just freaked me out. I woke Brad up one of the nights it was hurting paricularly bad and he suggested to take a look in my "What to Expect when Expecting" book (which I just LOVE). Lo and behold, there was a section about carpel tunnel syndrome. I slept with arms braces on the next 2 nights which helped with the right arm, but not the left (I need to but a better wrist brace for the left arm). I'm hoping for a pain-free sleep tonight with a new, sturdy brace.

I also had a check up with the doc and he said, yes, to splint them at night, drink plenty of fluid and avoid excess salt. If you read my last post, you may remember the doctor telling me to avoid excess sugar, too. Yikes. Now both my salt and sugar are taken from me! Oh, well. All I have to do to get over that is picture the cute, little baby I'll have in my arms in less than 2 months!

Ps. After downing water and avoiding sugar, my amniotic fluid has DOUBLED! I'm in the clear! Yay!

Brad and I have our second childbirth class tonight which I am really looking forward to. 9 out of 12 of the couples in the class are having girls! Crazy, eh? Luckily, none of them will be using any of the names Brad and I are tossing around.

3 comments:

Olsen Family said...

Don't you love all of the crazy prego symptoms you had no idea about until you started experiencing them. My personal favorite is in the last trimester your joints start getting loose for labor. Unfortunately it is all of them, including in your hands. At enrichment when I was prego I dropped two cups of juice all over the floor for no good reason. It is pretty funny (and embarrassing!)

Rohatinsky Family said...

Oh that stinks! Hopefully the braces will help ease the pain. I can't believe you have less than 2 months now. You will be having your baby next month. CRAAAZZZYYY! We need to chat!

mom/Anne said...

Wow! That's about all I can say. Hang in there (you have no choice I know). We love you guys!
hugs